Thursday, January 16, 2014

My BIGGEST Struggle

One word: FOOD

Not just any food, SUGAR. Desserts, soda, candy, whatever.

I have a ridiculous love affair with SUGAR and I am struggling to drop it. I know- it's JUST FOOD. It's not real food (no nutritional value) and wreaks havoc on my system. But old habits and emotional eating make this the hardest thing for me to quit EVER. There. I said it. That is my weak spot.

I find when things are good, I can stay away. The stress and frustration that life brings seems to bring the want/craving back. I can be an emotional eater and I find myself just going straight to it without even thinking- "is this getting me to my goal??" Of course, the answer is no. Do I feel better? For a minute. Then guilt, remorse and all that goes with it sets in.

I am in no way perfect. (yep, admitted that IN PRINT!) but I am finding a few things that do help: I try not to keep tempting stuff in the house. No, I do not make the rest of my family eat like I do. I encourage it, but I don't make them. So, if I have to have that around, I get stuff I don't like. I also try to plan ahead and make sure I eat as I am supposed to. If I miss a snack or eat later than usual, it messes me up. I have also just tried being honest with myself and talk to some close friends who know what it's like. I even message my nutritionist and tell him that I REALLY want to drink a soda, or eat some bad foods. Sometimes just acknowledging it takes the power of the food and the urge away. I am striving for progress here. Most times I am successful, some days, not so much.

The other thing I learned through trial and error, is that if I screw up- the whole day IS NOT LOST. I used to think, well, I screwed that up - forget the rest of the day. It's on! Not the case. I just need to clean it up and stay on track the rest of the day. I read somewhere that if you get a flat on one tire, you don't slash the rest of them. As silly as that may sound, it made logical sense to me. Just because I mess up once, don't trash the entire day.

That is where I am today. Just trying to stay on track. Are you aware of what your triggers are? What do you do to avoid giving in to temptation?

Just be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment